Sunday, July 30, 2017

Suspect by Michael Robotham

I was initially irritated with the first part of the novel because Mary Magdalene, as usual, was unofficially described as the Patron Saint of Prostitutes. Nowhere in the bible was Mary Magdalene ascribed as a person of whoredom! Nowhere! She wasn't the one who put oil in Jesus' feet nor was she the adulterous woman Jesus saved from stoning. Even the nuns called their order the Magdalene Sisters because they catered to wayward women of ill repute! To think they should know better! What? You mean to say they didn't read the bible either? But I digress! 
After my initial aggravation, I eventually (and grudgingly) decided to finish the book. To my surprise it was really a very suspenseful thriller!

Joe O'Loughlin is a psychologist who is diagnosed with Parkinson's disease . One day, a cantankerous detective asks the doctor for insights into the stabbing death of a young woman. Why he was chosen for this particular case will eventually be revealed as the story progresses. We also learn that the victim was a nurse and an ex-patient who accused him of sexual impropriety earlier in his career.
O'Loughlin has an alibi for the night of the murder, but he decides not to share it because of its "complicated" nature. Even though I did guess who the "real" perpetrator was, I still enjoyed the book because of Robotham's writing style that was very engaging if you find "edge of your seat" thrillers enjoyable.
I am now reading "Shattered" by Mr. Robotham.

No comments:

Post a Comment